Our PE curriculum is designed to inspire our children to lead active and healthy lifestyles, by:
- Encouraging children to be confident in their own ability and be willing to participate and showcase their skills.
- Helping pupils to strive to achieve their personal best and growing their self-esteem.
- Allowing opportunities to work both individually and as part of a team.
- Motivating children to continually improve their physical fitness.
- Ensuring children understand the importance of physical exercise as part of a healthy lifestyle.
- Providing a range of curriculum and extra-curricular events to nurture talent and interest in a variety of sporting activities.
An important part of our curriculum is ensuring that children understand that both winning and losing is part of sport but self development and progression are the most important factors.
- Our PE curriculum consists of 5 key areas: Dance, Gymnastics, Invasion Games, Athletics and Swimming (Key Stage 2 only).
- We have discrete PE lessons with specialist teaching for all children on a weekly basis from Reception to Year 6.
- Our school values serve to add integrity to attitudes and responses to the subject and to improve the learning environment.
- We have a wide range of extra curricular activities to introduce children to different sporting experiences and give them the opportunity to develop their confidence and skill development as well as take part in competitive sport.
- Children have the opportunity to learn to swim with specialist swimming instruction at Ponteland Leisure Centre.
- Children are exposed to an extensive range of vocabulary which builds year on year.